Thursday, July 10, 2014

DIY Coconut Honey Hair Mask


Ok, so I haven't blogged in a super long time...I have just figured I'm not a really good person to blog every detail of my life. I just find certain things useful and like to share them every so often. So it might be another 6 months before I do it again. So what might you ask brought me to come out of my hole and blog this glorious night while one of my girls has a meltdown of only God knows what and Peppa Pig is blaring on the TV...its a mighty fine do it yourself coconut honey hair mask. You might think it might be oily and sticky and nasty, but really it's not that bad. Its so easy and it made my hair feel silky and smooth. I've always saw where people just take the coconut oil and massage it in the hair and scalp. I do not have dry scalp, actually the opposite...so I opted out of putting directly on my scalp. I have not used just the coconut oil by itself I have always used the coconut oil/ honey mixture so I can not tell you if there is any difference. But I do know honey has some really great properties- its great for your immune system, helps with allergies, energy booster, and helps retain moisture on skin and hair. So why not? 

First thing I found an old shampoo bottle and made sure it was clean and dry and added

1/2 cup of coconut oil
2 teaspoons of organic honey

The first time I just smooshed the unmelted coconut oil in the opening of the bottle, not the best idea. One reason I did not melt it is because I heard if you melt it in the microwave it will loose some of its natural properties. You can use a double broiler but whos got time for that. The next time I used a small jar to mix it in and with a lid on I ran it under hot water right out of the tap. This was enough to melt the coconut oil and mix the honey together. I then poured it in my shampoo bottle which I like because if any is left over it can be stored and used again. You can cut the recipe in half if you have shorter hair. I have long hair and I really drench my hair with it. I usually use one of those disposable shower caps, you know the kind that some hotels leaves in the bathroom. I always take them home, because you never know when you might put a crazy concoction on your head. Otherwise, you can use a plastic bag. So after you drench your hair and place the shower cap on your head, you need to let it set for 30 to 40 minutes. I've heard some people sleep in it....ummmm no. I can't even stand wet hair when I sleep much less a greasy blob on the back of my head, not to mention grease spots on the sheets. So after your 40 minutes is up you can now wash your hair. I wash mine 3 times just for good measure and it does well. I find no greasy residue. I do blow dry my hair, in my opinion...I think it makes the hair super soft and shiney after the treatment. Remember those hot oil treatments....you didn't make them hot for nothing. But then again I'm no rocket scientist, I just find blow drying makes a difference in my hair. 

Ok, so thats it. I like to do it about twice a week. It truly works! 







No comments:

Post a Comment